Laptop just died

kylgeo

Hi guys, not sure if anyone can help me out. Was using my laptop this morning for some work and it completely shuts down. I was a bit sidetracked so just switched it on again immediately, it made the usual boot sound for maybe a second or two then completely switched off. Been dead ever since. No lights at all, won't charge with or without the battery in. I have two chargers for it both not working.

Some background info it has in the last month turned off suddenly a few times however I noticed this when playing hearthstone only so chalked it up to that game being poorly optimised (apparently it is according to redditors 😅) seeing as I was playing mass effect trilogy remake with no problems around the same time. Since I stopped playing hearthstone I didn't have the issue. The only other thing I can think of is it sometimes stops charging if I'm playing a cpu intense game but those are few and far between and never had an issue like this. Here's my specs:
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 120Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
NONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
500GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Optimus X Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

Sorry using my phone at the moment. If there's any other information you need just let me know 👍🏿

kylgeo

Sorry mate didn't get notified for this reply. Currently, fans are dusty. Cleaned it maybe 2 months ago with some compressed air. I have never repasted the CPU. Not very tech-savvy when it comes to hardware and didn't even know it was something I needed to do until a couple of months ago. Admittedly have been too scared to do it myself as I don't have the most delicate touch when it comes to fragile material. Update I have had it plugged in for basically 24 hours. The charging brick is ice cold, the laptop still has zero lights and refuses to turn on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry mate didn't get notified for this reply. Currently, fans are dusty. Cleaned it maybe 2 months ago with some compressed air. I have never repasted the CPU. Not very tech-savvy when it comes to hardware and didn't even know it was something I needed to do until a couple of months ago. Admittedly have been too scared to do it myself as I don't have the most delicate touch when it comes to fragile material. Update I have had it plugged in for basically 24 hours. The charging brick is ice cold, the laptop still has zero lights and refuses to turn on.
If it’s not been repasted it will have been thermal throttling for quite a while and could have damaged the motherboard.

I don’t think you have any choice but to RMA it.

Any custom laptop or performance laptop requires repasting once a year or will start overheating and it only gets worse with time.

kylgeo

If it’s not been repasted it will have been thermal throttling for quite a while and could have damaged the motherboard.

I don’t think you have any choice but to RMA it.

Any custom laptop or performance laptop requires repasting once a year or will start overheating and it only gets worse with time.
From my reading I gathered this may be the case. Wish this was something I knew earlier. I'll have to shelf the laptop for now and send it in when I can afford the repair as I imagine replacing a whole motherboard isn't the cheapest 😭. Thanks for the info

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
From my reading I gathered this may be the case. Wish this was something I knew earlier. I'll have to shelf the laptop for now and send it in when I can afford the repair as I imagine replacing a whole motherboard isn't the cheapest 😭. Thanks for the info
You don’t know what the issue is, it may be something completely different.

If you create an RMA, they can analyse the issue and won’t do anything until you’ve agreed to any quotes. So you’ll know upfront exactly how much it’s going to cost.

Never assume, invariably we’re wrong.

Paul1964

To add to SpyderTracks excellent advice you might want to check your AC supply:

Since you say the charging brick is ice-cold, have you checked the fuse in the 13amp plug - it maybe that simple. If the fuse has gone then the laptop would have drained out its battery as it would not be receiving AC power. If you do sent it in, send it with the power brick too in case that's the issue. The simple things are worth checking first before assuming it's something more catastrophic.

I work in IT support and if I had £1 for the number of times I've had to deal with a "webcam not working on my laptop" only to find they had the privacy cover closed I would be a rich man! 😁

1715680037019.jpeg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To add to SpyderTracks excellent advice you might want to check your AC supply:

Since you say the charging brick is ice-cold, have you checked the fuse in the 13amp plug - it maybe that simple. If the fuse has gone then the laptop would have drained out its battery as it would not be receiving AC power. If you do sent it in, send it with the power brick too in case that's the issue. The simple things are worth checking first before assuming it's something more catastrophic.

I work in IT support and if I had £1 for the number of times I've had to deal with a "webcam not working on my laptop" only to find they had the privacy cover closed I would be a rich man! 😁

View attachment 41060
The camera slider bugs me to hell, more so because I was a victim with it within the last few years.